house diagram

NOTE: the Local Water Authority may make an additional charge for the connection to the water main.

Common supply pipes

Often older houses, mostly terraced houses and occasionally some semi-detached houses, use a common supply pipe system (Shared supply). This is a pipe that supplies the water from the mains to two or more properties using a shared stop tap. In effect this means that you share the supply pipe that branches off from the mains with your neighbours.

Poor Pressure and Low Flow

For some properties, the problem is caused by sharing a supply pipe from the water main. This can be a problem if the supply is too small, in poor condition (for example, leaking or old), or if properties sharing a supply use water at the same time. It can also be particularly noticeable at busy times when many properties sharing a supply pipe are placing demands on the water supply. So, a supply that seems fine at some times of the day may not be at other times. If you and your neighbour share a supply pipe, you are jointly responsible for it from your property to the boundary stop tap. The houses in the example have a shared supply pipe and a joint responsibility for maintaining and repairing it. If you have reduced water pressure and you are on a shared supply pipe, talk to your neighbours to see if they are experiencing the same problem. If so, you may want to look at installing a separate independent service pipe from your property to the water main or, at a joint cost, renewing / increasing the size of the shared supply pipe.

EPS can install a individual supply to your property.

Shared supply pipe replacement process

For any more information on shared supply work please feel free to call one of our engineers today to help solve your issue with the minimum of fuss.

To check your water companies policy on shared or lead water pipe replacements please follow the links.

Water company shared supply links

Checking to see if you have a shared water supply pipe

  1. Locate your outside stop tap at the boundary of your property and see if you have a water meter fitted that corresponds to your bill. If it does there's a good chance you have an independent water main.
  2. If there is no meter, switch off the tap and check your water supply, also check your adjoining neighbours to see how many properties may be affected. If your water with any other neighbour stops this may mean you're on a shared supply.
  3. Is your stop tap located on or outside the property boundary of one of your neighbours, if so, repeat step no. 2, and check.
  4. If you cannot locate your outside stop tap or are having difficulty in operating it please contact your local water company to help resolve these issues. They may be able to advise if you're on a shared supply or not.
water tap and meter

Lead Supply Useful Info

certifications for EPS
To Top